June QuizA monthly tough quiz of general history, traditions, geography questions for May
1. About how many Terracotta warriors have been unearthed near Xi'an?
Only a small part of the first Qin emperor's has been uncovered. There are no plans to excavate further areas as there is a strong respect for the dead in China.
2. Most of the most prized jade comes from which country?
Although the ancient supply came from within China in the Kunlun mountains for the last few hundred years the country with the biggest mines has been Myanmar. Emperor Qianlong launched offensives to try to capture the mines in the late 18th century.
3. With which country did China go to war in 1962?
The Sino-Indian War lasted just one month and resulted in China taking control of the Aksai Chin border area. A skirmish in 2020-21 also took place along the disputed border on the southern fringe of the Himalayas.
4. Li or Lee is a very common family name in China what does it mean?
The character is 李 lǐ representing the plum tree. The tree is highly prized as it is one of the first trees to blossom in early spring. It is currently the second most common family name with 93 million people bearing it in 2019.
5. The disgraced Bo Xilai was mayor of which city
In 2012 Bo Xilai was convicted on bribery and embezzlement charges. In truth he had started to build up a significant power base that threatened other PRC leadership. His wife was given a suspended death sentence for the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood.
6. Which kingdom during the period known as the ‘Five dynasties and Ten kingdoms’ was chiefly responsible for retaining Tang civilization?
7. Silver was traditional made into ingots in what shape?
The traditional form is a lucky shoe shape known as a ‘sycee’. It was handmade as a large unit of currency.
8. Which is the luckiest Chinese number?
Eight is the luckiest number and you often see it associated with gambling. There are many gambling web sites with 888 as part of the name. The Beijing Olympics was opened on the 8/8/2008 at 8PM .
9. Tiangong is the latest space vehicle of which type?
天宫 Tiān gōng means ‘heavenly palace’ and is the name given to a series of space stations that China is putting into Earth orbit.
10. The taiji figure represents what?
wind and water
yin and yang
The taiji representation is shown with dark ?yin? and light ?yang? swirling around each other. The two dots should be thought as seeds - the small circle of yin can grow into yang, and the circle of yang can transform into yin. Yang can not exist without yin and yin without yang but it is a dynamic system where yang transforms to yin and yin to yang.
11. Huangpu Military Academy was in which province?
The academy is famous for its role in training Republican soldiers who went on to lead China such as Lin Biao. It was Chiang Kaishek and Sun Yatsen who set it up in 1924.
12. Which factor was probably the most important in the success of Mao's Long March?
13. Where is Dowager Empress Cixi buried?
Eastern Qing Tombs
14. What proportion of the Chinese Community Party are women?
Women only make up about a quarter of the party this has somewhat reduced from the early years of the PRC.
15. The early days of the Long March the communist leadership was often referred to as a joint operation between Mao and who else?
The much respected military general Zhu De held joint leadership in the early days, the term Mao-Zhu was a term representing a harmonius balance of intellectual (Mao) and military (Zhu) skills.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds