New Year QuizQuiz all about Chinese New Year.
1. Which astrological year follows the year of the snake?
The sequence of 12 astrological animals is rat; ox; tiger; rabbit; dragon; snake; horse; sheep; monkey; rooster; dog and finally pig.
2. Which character for good fortune is widely seen at Chinese New Year?
The character for good fortune 福 fú has an interesting derivation. It is widely seen on Chinese gifts. Just to add to confusion it is often shown ?upside down?
3. What is a 'guotie'?
fried dumpling (jiaozi)
A guotie is literally a 'pot sticker' - a parcel of meat or vegetables wrapped in dough that has been fried.
4. What are the lucky numbers in a year of the Rat?
two and three
Any mixture of 2s and 3s is considered lucky for the year of the Rat or people born in that year so 2233 is lucky and so is 322.
5. What are Spring scrolls (Dui lian)?
A shellfish dish
A special vegetable dish
Spring Scrolls 对联 duì lián are big character posters that are pasted either side of the door, the inscription wishes good luck and joy.
6. Why are fish widely eaten at Chinese New Year?
The god of fish was born on Chinese New Year
Fish in Chinese sounds like abundance
Fish were the first creatures created
The Chinese for fish is 鱼 yú which in standard Chinese sounds the same as 余 yú which means 'surplus, abundance'. So it is making the wish for abundance in the new year.
7. What is the phase of the moon at Chinese New Year?
The date of Chinese New Year moves because it is tied to the phase of the moon. It is timed to occur on the second new moon after the winter solstice on December 21st; this makes it fall in late January or February.
8. The New Year greeting 'Gong hei fat choy' is in which language?
This the Cantonese pronunciation of the greeting which in standard Chinese is 恭喜发财 gōng xǐ fā cái which means ‘congratulations, become wealthy’ and is often a greeting between people in business.
9. When is the next dragon astrological year?
10. Which day of the New Year festival should you give the family dog a treat?
It is on the second day (the day after New Year's Day) that it is traditional to give the family pet a special treat.
11. Which event marks the traditional end of the Chinese New Year (Spring) festival?
12. Which astrological animal is considered the most talkative?
Although the dragon is the most auspicious astrological year the monkey (9th in the cycle) comes close. Monkeys are fun, talkative and friendly creatures.
13. Which color envelope is traditionally used for gifts of money?
Red is the luckiest color and is widely seen at festivals and marriages to bring good luck and keep evil at bay. Charms written on red paper are plastered all over houses at Chinese New Year because according to legend the Nian monster is frightened by anything red. 宏 hóng sounds the same and means ?great; magnificent? so a red color bestows idea of wish for greatness in decorations.
14. Which Chinese god is given an offering a week prior to Chinese New Year?
Mi Le Fo - the Laugjhing buddha
Kui Xing - god of literature
Zao Jun - the Kitchen god
It is on the eve of Chinese New Year that families pay particular deference to Zao Jun so that he can relay a favorable report on the household's life to heaven for the last year - his lips are smeared with honey. Traditionally a portrait of him was hung in the kitchen which was ritually burned and replaced every New Year.
15. Why on the 5th day of the new year are windows traditionally left open?
Let in the god of Good Fortune
Harvest 'qi' from the atmosphere
Let out the god of poverty
The god of Fortune (财神 Cái shén) has his birthday and so traditionally windows and doors are left open to let him visit the house
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds