General quiz about China 5Intermediate quiz (quite tough) about the geography, history, traditions and language of China (5)
1. Which is the Chinese language most frequently spoken in Zhejiang province other than Mandarin?
The Wu language is spoken by over 70 million people. Jiangsu, Shanghai and Zhejiang provinces are its heartland.
2. The Chinese nuclear test facility of Lop Nur is located in which province?
Lop Nur has been used as a nuclear testing site from 1959 to1996.
3. The magnificent Huangguoshu Waterfalls can be found in which province?
The Huangguoshu Waterfall, Guizhou is the largest in China, there are nine 'falls' of level; eight cataracts and one large waterfall. It is best to visit between May and October when the river level is high.
4. The Tiananmen Incident of 1976 occurred following the death of which leader?
Zhou Enlai was the premier of China for much of the time since 1949. He was seen as affable and flexible rather than doggedly doctrinal. There was a mass outpouring of grief in Tiananmen Square to mark his death. The Gang of Four violently suppressed the crowds that gathered. Four thousand people were arrested.
5. The Supreme Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama) was born in which country that neighbors China?
6. In which province is the fictional Shangrila said to be located?
The fictional heaven on Earth of Shangrila was created by James Hilton in his book 'Lost Horizon'. There is no location that exactly matches his descriptions but Mount Kawarkapo in Yunnan is as good as any. The Chinese have renamed Zhongdian as Shangrila to cash in on the story.
7. Tanggu or Binhai is the port area for which major city?
Tianjin is the port serving Beijing and much of north-eastern China.
8. Mount Lushan is close to which major famous lake?
Poyang Lake is in northern Jiangxi province just south of the Yangzi River.
9. Imperial designs represent the Emperor as a dragon, but which creature represents the Empress?
10. In which province did the Taiping rebellion begin?
11. Why is the Yellow River so called?
carries yellow mud
rivers were named after colors
named after the Yellow Emperor
pollution with yellow dye
12. A magpie in a painting symbolizes a wish for what?
The magpie is a harbinger of joy and as such is used in paintings to wish someone joy and happiness. If a magpie happens to be heard while ruminating on an action is considered a sign that the plan is the right one.
13. Which province is the coldest in summer?
14. The Jesuit missionaries most impressed the Imperial court with their knowledge of what?
It was the new European methods in astronomy that really impressed the Chinese. Adam Schall and Ferdinand Verbiest in 1664 won a competition to make the most accurate prediction of a solar eclipse against the Chinese astronomers who used traditional Chinese methods.
15. What was the religion of the great explorer Zheng He?
Zheng He (1371 - 1433) was a Muslim. His Muslim faith was a great aid in dealing with the mainly Arab traders he met on his travels; as this era was the zenith of Arab trade. His final journey took him as far as Mecca and Jeddah.
16. K2 the second highest mountain in the world is on the border of China with which country?
17. Which province is known by the shortened name 'Lu'?
The modern province of Shandong was the center of the state of Lu way back in Zhou dynasty (1042-289BCE). The state of Lu is famous because Confucius was born and lived at Qufu the capital of the Lu kingdom.
18. Why is Mongolia split into Outer and Inner Mongolia?
Revolution of 1924
Outer Mongolia was Genghiz Khan's home
Civil war of 1845
Historical division between Khanates
After the Russian Communist revolution of 1917 the Russians supported revolution in Outer Mongolia and it became a separate Communist state in 1924, at this time China was a Republic.
19. Sun Yatsen's mausoleum is close to which major city?
Sun Yatsen chose Nanjing as his Republican Capital of China in 1912, Beijing was still in the control of the northern warlords when he died in 1925.
20. Which was China's most populous province in 2014?
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds