China Picture quiz 1Do you recongize these places in China?
1. These ruins are part of which Imperial building?
Old Summer Palace
The style of the stone ornamentation of the Old Summer Palace shows that it was designed by European architects (mainly Jesuits) working for the Qing Emperors.
2. In which month might you expect to see this watery spectacle?
The Dragon boat festival falls on the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese calendar. This varies in date on the Gregorian calendar but normally falls in June but in some years it can be in late May.
3. Which ancient figure is represented by this massive stone statue?
Emperor Qin Shihuangdi
Laozi the founder of Daoism is typically depicted as an old man with a long flowing beard.
4. This demonstration of Kung Fu is at its original place in China where is that?
5. Where might you find this famous building?
The Potala palace in Lhasa is the winter palace of the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
6. This striking church can be seen in which Chinese city?
The Russian influence in the province of Heilongjiang is quite pronounced reflecting years of Russian domination in the early 20th century. The "onion" domes of the Cathedral of Saint-Sophia, Harbin is a striking example.
7. Where might you find this famous landmark?
West Lake in Hangzhou
Beihai Park in Beijing
The famous White Dagoba stands in Beihai Park and was built in the Mongol dynasty.
8. Which muscial instrument is this man playing?
Erhu is a two stringed violin with the bow string between the two strings. 二胡 èr hú means literally 'two' 'fiddle'. There is a less common instrument with four strings 'sihu'.
9. Where is this famous pagoda?
It is the Great Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi’an that was built to house the Buddhist scriptures brought back to China by Xuanzang.
10. This is a memorial hall to which important figure in Chinese history?
The Sun Yatsen memorial hall is in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province; the province where he was born.
11. Where might you find this building of European style architecture?
The old part of Macau has a number of buildings of colonial Portuguese design including the church of Sao Lourenco.
12. Why are there nine mythical beasts behind the 'man on a hen' on this roof?
nine was the Imperial number
represent the Double Ninth Festival
nine ancient rites
13. These objects are associated with which religion?
This form of stupa which often contains sacred Buddhist relics is common in Tibet, Qinghai and Inner Mongolia.
14. This building is known by which name?
Central Cultural Museum
Great Hall of the People
Every province has its own internal hall within the ?Great Hall of the People?. It lies on the west side of Tiananmen Square, Beijing.
15. Which famous harbor is this?
The view is from “The Peak” on Hong Kong island looking over Victoria to Kowloon.
16. Where can you find this famous building?
Summer Palace, Beijing
Forbidden City, Beijing
Temple of Heaven, Beijing
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests within the Temple of Heaven (Tiantan) complex, Beijing.
17. Which game are these men playing?
Chinese chess 象棋 xiàng qí is played with discs on which characters are inscribed so can look like chequers from a distance.
18. In the pastures of Xinjiang sheep are grazing. What is the name of the type of building used by the herdsmen?
The yurt is made from layers of felt draped over a wooden framework. It can be very quickly moved to another location as the herdsmen follow their flocks.
19. This lovely pristine beach is located where?
Hainan island is famous as a semi-tropical beach resort.
20. Why is this creature so important in Chinese history?
eats rice pests
eaten by giant pandas
It is the caterpillar of the silkworm moth that spins a silk cocoon. It is usually fed on white mulberry leaves.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds