Traditions Quiz 1Starter level quiz all about Chinese traditions
1. Dowager Empress Cixi was very fond of which dog breed?
The Pekingese was the 'Lion Dog' of Imperial China. Dowager Empress Cixi had 200 or more at the Imperial palaces.
2. The Chinese pipa is a type of what?
3. The chrysanthemum represents which season?
4. Which color was reserved for the roof tiles of Imperial buildings?
5. The Yi Jing (I Ching) system of fortune telling has a system of how many hexagrams?
A Yi Jing divination can generate all binary combinations (yin or yang) of six lines. This gives a total of 64 combinations (2 to the power of 6).
6. Which astrological animal heads the sequence of twelve?
The legend for why the rat is first is that theastrological animals formed an orderly queue before the God of the Golden Star ready to be named but the rat jumped onto the back of the ox so it could be named first.
7. What is an 'eye' in mahjong?
run of four
a pair of tiles
In a winning mahjong hand, an eye is a pair of tiles that is independent of the other sets so a pair of 5 characters would be an eye only if 5's and characters do not feature in the other sets.
8. When is the next dragon astrological year?
9. Confucius and Lao Zi are both said to have lived how long ago?
10. Which was traditionally NOT added to tea as a flavoring?
Many additional flavorings have been used in Chinese tea. Milk and sugar was needed in Europe to cover the rather strong bitter taste that developed during the long voyage from China, Chinese teas have much subtler flavors and do not need sweetening.
11. In the Dragon dance, the dragon(s) typically chase what?
12. Losing what is considered a disaster in China?
The Chinese have a long standing tradition of maintaining their social standing, which has been very loosely translated as face 面子 miàn zi. In everyday life this means that taking criticism in front of other people ?loses face? 丢脸 diū liǎn and is not acceptable.
13. Firecrackers are usually which color in China?
14. Where might you find a man riding a hen?
on a roof
in a Lion dance
in a Chinese chess set
More than one legend attempts to explain the end figure of the set of glazed clay figures on the ridge of a roof. The man riding on a hen probably symbolizes 'impossibility' as a man can't ride a hen, and a hen can't fly; so the figure is therefore doubly rooted there and protects the roof and house.
15. Which plant is mentioned in the Buddhist mantra 'Om mani padme hum'?
'Om mani padme hum' or 'an ma ni ba mi hong' in Chinese can be very roughly transliterated as 'May I become like the jewel of the Lotus. Amen' ?padme? ('ba mi') is the Tibetan name for the lotus.
16. Which would you NOT expect to find in a Chinese garden?
An expanse of green grass would not only upset the color balance of a garden but be difficult to maintain in most parts of China.
17. The Erhu is the most common traditional stringed instrument, how many strings does it have?
The 二胡 èr hú means literally two whiskers and has two strings between which the bow is tied. At the base of the erhu is a small sound box.
18. What is Dimsum?
stuffed boiled dough
Dimsum literally means 'dot on the heart' which is boiled dough with a variety of spicy and savory fillings; it is a form of the more general 'small eats' .
19. How many types of dragon are there in mahjong?
There are three different types of dragon in Mahjong: red; green and white and there are four copies of each type making 12 in all.
20. An ink stone is used for what?
create solid marks
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds