History Quiz 1Starter level quiz about the long history of China.
1. What was Zhou Enlai's position in the Chinese government 1949-76
Zhou Enlai helped mitigate some of the worst effects of Mao Zedong's reformist policies. As premier he was responsible for implementing policy rather than devising it. He was greatly loved by the Chinese people and the huge outpouring of grief at Zhou's funeral demonstrated massive support for his political ethos (compassionate and pragmatic) and signaled the end of the Gang of Four hard-liners.
2. In 1762 the population of China had reached how many?
The huge population of 200 million was the major factor in the decline of the Qing dynasty. There was insufficient food and infrastructure to support such large numbers of people.
3. The Art of War was written by which ancient author?
Sun Wu (Tzu)
The Art of War 孙子兵法 was written about 2,500 years ago by Sun Wu (Sun Tzu). It was the standard text on military strategy for over two thousand years.
4. Who led the Mongol conquest of southern China which ended the Song dynasty?
Genghiz Khan died in the conquest of the Western Xia kingdom in 1227. It was his grandson Kublai Khan who conquered southern China in 1279.
5. Which Chinese city was known as the 'Paris of the East' in the 1920s?
6. The Diaoyu islands were a cause of international tensions in 2012 between China and which other country?
The Diaoyu Islands lie to the north of Taiwan and their sovereignty has been disputed for a long time. The Japanese name for them is the Senkaku Islands. They are small and uninhabited.
7. The 'Treaty of Tianjin' was signed during which conflict?
There were two Opium Wars with the U.K.: 1840-42 and 1856-60. In the 2nd War the Anglo-French force beat the Chinese and the Treaty of Tianjin was signed in 1858, which legalized the opium trade.
8. What was the highest grade in the old civil service examination system?
The Jinshi qualification guaranteed a government position and a life of relative luxury. The Jinshi examination took place at Beijing every three years and the top essays were judged by the Emperor himself
9. Which historical figure made Chinese silk the must have fabric in ancient times?
Queen Cleopatra of Egypt
It was the queen of Egypt who set the fashion trends in Rome. Soon the demand for Chinese silk was damaging Rome's balance of payments. Emperor Tiberius forbade the wearing of silk by men.
10. The robot that trundled around the moon's surface in 2013 was called what?
11. Which Emperor built the Forbidden City in Beijing?
12. Marco Polo originated from which European city
Marco's father Niccolò and uncle Maffeo Polo traveled with him to China in 1275 and stayed there for 17 years. The second-hand description of China as a land of marvels greatly influenced early European attitudes. He was born in Venice in 1254 and died there in 1324.
13. The flag of Hong Kong shows which flower?
The semi-autonomous territory of Hong Kong retains its own flag and currency. The flag has the flower of the orchid tree (Bauhinia ? blakeana) has large thick leaves and striking purplish red flowers. The hybrid originates from Hong Kong botanical gardens in 1880.
14. The Yellow Emperor is believed to have lived how long ago?
1,500 years ago
4,500 years ago
10,000 years ago
The legendary Yellow Emperor (Huangdi) is credited with many Chinese inventions and laws that have lasted centuries. The traditional Chinese year is numbered from the year of his birth in 2697BCE. His tomb is said to be at Huangling, Shaanxi
15. Bao Zheng has a temple commemorated him near Kaifeng, what he is remembered for?
Bao Zheng 包拯 (Bao Gong) lived [999 - 1062] in Song dynasty China. He stood up against anyone who was corrupt or evaded justice, even members of his own and the Imperial family.
16. The ancient Shu kingdom is centered on which modern province?
17. The Great Game was played out on China's western borders in the 19th century between Russia and which other country?
18. Who ordered the construction of the famous marble boat at the Summer Palace, Beijing?
Dowager Empress Cixi
After the Anglo-French force destroyed the Old Summer Palace in 1860 the Dowager Empress Cixi build a new Summer Palace. By the side of Kunming Lake she had built a marble boat. Many say that Dowager Empress Cixi diverted funds earmarked for building a modern navy but there is no proof for this. Parts of the boat are made of wood but painted to look like marble..
19. Japan took control of which province in 1914?
Japan took the side of Britain and France in the First World War in 1914. The Japanese ejected Germans from Shandong province, their occupation was supported at the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.
20. Bronze vessels reached their zenith of intricate design in which dynasty?
The artistry of Shang dynasty bronze vessels is amazing. They are very large with intricate designs, and often are decorated with Chinese characters. Some were made by joining parts made from several molds.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds